A fun addition to your Christmas celebrations are these xmas craft hats that your kids can help make for everyone coming along to your family gathering.
They are easy to make and can be decorated in a very personal way if you want to go to the trouble.
We have included step by step instructions so you can make your own Christmas hats at home, plus a video to guide you through the process.
Christmas Hats Craft Materials
The only compulsory material is your big cardboard sheet that form the cone shape of the hats.
Everything else is optional! You can decorate these hats however you like but for the purposes of this project we have used your typical Christmas materials like tinsel and ribbons.
We have also added a Christmas message by hand on the front of the hat.
Xmas Craft Hats Video Demonstration
Check out the video below for a fast overview of the project before you jump into the step by step instructions.
This is in a time lapse format and will help you understand how these Xmas hats come together.
Stage 1: Create a Cardboard Cone for the Hat
- Step 1 - Take a piece of colored cardboard and fold one side to the middle before continuing to roll along the folded edge of the cardboard to create a cone shape.
- Step 2 - Secure in place with sticky tape.
- Step 3 - The opening of the cone shape will be uneven so take some scissors and cut the excess off to make the base of the cone flat.
- Step 4 - Staple the base of the fold in place and add more tape as needed. The cone should now be able to stand on its own.
Stage 2: Decorate the Hat with Features
- Step 5 - Cut a length of tinsel and staple to around the base of the cone.
- Step 6 - Take a hole punch and add two holes at the base of the cone on opposite sides. This will be for a neck strap.
- Step 7 - Cut a length of string and thread in both holes at the base of the hat and tie off in place.
- Step 8 - Now we will get some colored pipe cleaners and bend like a pretzel into a bow shape.
- Step 9 - Using some strong glue, add some of the adhesive to the center of your pipe cleaner bow and attach to the top of the hat.
- Step 10 - Take some colored ribbon and wind around the cone shape from the bottom to the top and tape in place.
- Step 11 - Add any finishing touches like a Christmas greeting directly onto the cardboard.
- Step 12 - Your Christmas hat is now ready to be worn. Repeat these steps to create a hat for everyone who is coming for Xmas dinner!
Why Make this Christmas Hat Craft
These xmas hats will liven up the dinner table, and engage your children in the Christmas traditions early on.
We like the flexibility to decorate this in a way that your kids will enjoy, or by just using what you have around the house to keep the cost of the project down.
You can even just decorate by hand with the colored markers and write some personalized Christmas messages to each of your guests.
For More Xmas Crafts
We have plenty more Xmas craft ideas that are suitable for young kids. Projects include:
Check out the full list of Xmas craft ideas here.
It will be a very colorful Christmas dinner with all of these bright looking hats around the table.
It is a quirky way to add some variety to the usual decorations this Xmas and the kids will be excited to have their creations on show to the family.