Create these cute little Christmas tree decorations out of a handful of popsicle sticks and some glue.
Every tree is an opportunity for unique features and decorations, and your kids will love personalizing their own version.
Learn how to make your own craft stick trees with our tutorial below. Complete with written instructions and a video demo.
Prepare Your Craft Stick Materials
We have used colored craft sticks for the project to save any paint or drawing work needed upfront. If using plain sticks you can either color in with markers, or apply a coat of paint before starting or once the tree structure is assembled.
How you choose to decorate the Christmas tree is entirely up to you. We have used pom-poms, but any leftover craft materials you have will work just as well.
Popsicle Stick Christmas Tree Video Demo
Check out the video below for a quick run through of the project. This will help you navigate the written instructions if you can see how it comes together.
We have used colored craft sticks for this project. If you have plain popsicle sticks then before you start you may want to paint your sticks before you start, or after you complete Stage 1 (5 sticks for branches, and one for the trunk).
Stage 1: Assemble Your Christmas Tree
- Step 1- Place one popsicle stick on the bench (your tree trunk) and then place five more sticks perpendicular and on top of the first (your branches).
- Step 2 - Use a ruler to mark out the triangle shape of Christmas tree branches along the popsicle sticks on both sides.
- Step 3 - Cut each craft stick where it has been marked. You will end up with five sticks all of differing lengths.
- Step 4 - Using one of the offcuts, cut a small triangle to place at the top of the tree to create that neat triangle shape all the way down your branches.
- Step 5 - Glue the branches in place and set aside to dry for a minute or two.
Stage 2: Decorate Your Christmas Tree
- Step 6 - Glue pom-poms in place on the branches.
- Step 7 - Your Craft Stick Xmas Tree is now ready for decoration!
Why Make a Craft Stick Xmas Tree
Just one bag of craft sticks will make more than enough of these Christmas trees to decorate your house with. They are cheap to make and only take a few minutes.
For kids the fun part will be decorating the tree branches in unique ways. So this is a great activity to keep them engaged while also encouraging creativity.
For More Christmas Crafts
If you enjoyed this project then check out our full list of Christmas craft ideas for young kids.
Every project comes with a full written tutorial and videos.
This project is simple enough even for young toddlers to get involved in. As kids get older, you can get more detailed in the way you decorate it and the materials used.
A great way to build some excitement in the lead up to Christmas, and an easy way to add some more color around the house.