This clothespin reindeer craft idea is a fun project if you want to make some DIY ornaments with your kids for the Christmas tree this year.
They come together quickly and can be made from an ordinary clothes pin which you may already have laying around the house.
We have included detailed instructions plus a video demonstration so you can make your own reindeer decorations at home.
In This Post:
Clothespin Craft Materials
You will get the best results with newer and cleaner looking pins, but there is no reason you can’t just go to your bucket of pegs and pull out some spares for this craft project.
Aside from that you just need some sparkly pipe cleaners and some crafty basics to pull this project together.
If you don’t have googly eyes handy you can just draw them on, or use a white paper cutout.
Clothes Peg Reindeer Video Demo
Check out the video below for a quick run-through of the project.
The antlers and elastic cord can be a little bit tricky. Seeing how this all takes shape will save you time when you get into the written instructions.
Stage 1: Assemble the Reindeer Body
- Step 1 - Glue two googly eyes at the upper end of one side of your clothespins. This will mark the top of your reindeer decorations.
- Step 2 - Crumple a tiny red strip paper then paste this just below the eyes to make a nose.
- Step 3 - Using the marker draw a dividing line down the middle of the base to make the shape of two legs, and then color in the base for the feet of the reindeer.
- Step 4 - Tie a small length of ribbon just below the nose. This will serve as the scarf of the reindeer.
Stage 2: Add Antlers and Hanging Cord
- Step 5 - Fold a length of pipe cleaner in half, and then use a pen to wind the pipe cleaners around into a spiral shape. This will be your antlers on the reindeer.
- Step 6 - Tie a length of gold cable into a 3 inch loop that will be used to hang up the reindeer decoration.
- Step 7 - Clip the pipe cleaner horns and cable loop to the top of the clothespin to finish off your decoration.
- Step 8 - Your clothespin reindeer ornaments are ready to be hung up on the Christmas tree.
Why Make Clothespin Reindeer
Almost everyone has some spare pegs laying around the house. You can turn these into a funny looking Xmas decoration to fill in some space on your tree in no time.
Kids will have a great time decorating these and they look surprisingly good when complete.
You wouldn’t even know it is a peg until you get up close.
For More Christmas Craft Ideas
Check out some of the following Xmas craft ideas that are great for kids:
Making these funny little characters is a great family activity in the lead-up to the holiday season when decorating the Xmas tree.
You can mix up some of the features such as the scarf, feet, nose, and elastic ties to create a good blend of color to match your color themes and brighten up your decorations.