If the craft area for your kids is getting a bit messy, these tin can organizers are a quick and easy solution to restore some order.
Best of all is you can make them from your leftover tins from the kitchen, and a little bit of paint.
Below is a step by step tutorial, and video demonstration so you can make your own at home.
Prepare Your Tin Cans and Paint
Kids love a bit of painting, but things can get messy fast. So make sure you have a washable or disposable table cover to keep things clean.
No doubt you have plenty of tin cans make their way into the trash each week. So if you just put these aside you can save some unnecessary expense getting these ready. Just be careful that there are not any sharp edges that little hands can cut themselves on.
DIY Tin Can Organizers Video Demonstration
This is a very simple craft project and in the video below you can see just how quickly this can come together.
It usually helps to see the project from start to finish before going through the written instructions.
- Step 1 - Thoroughly clean your tin cans so you have a smooth surface to paint.
- Step 2 - Paint the tin cans the color of your choosing. We recommend light pastel colors.
- Step 3 - Set aside to dry for 5-8 minutes.
- Step 4 - Stick the washi tape around the can to create a banding effect at the top, bottom and/or middle of the can.
- Step 5 - (Optional) Add a layer of modge podge over the tape to hold it in place and add a bit of gloss to the finish.
- Step 5 - Your tin can organizers are ready or use.
Why Make Painted Tin Can Organizers
This makes a colorful addition to your craft area. If you are now working from home then I am sure your desk could also use some organization, and some brighter colors too!
You can let the creative juices fly when deciding your color scheme. You can also go for some washi tape that is a bit more tailored to what your kids love.
Take the opportunity to turn some crummy leftover tins into a fun craft project to do with the kids.
The practical use to help get your craft materials organized is just a neat bonus!