In this project, we will be making some happy looking snowmen out of your kid’s hand and footprints for a quick & easy winter craft activity or Christmas decoration.
There are two ways we will be dressing up these fingerprints in the demo project below. The first is a whole of hand approach which creates big chunky snowmen. The second will dress up small snowmen on each individual fingerprint. You can do one or both as you follow along.
In this post, we have included full written and picture instructions, plus a full video demonstration.
In This Post:
Prepare Your Fingerprint Craft Materials
You can make this fingerprint snowman craft with any colored paper you like, but we are going for pink and blue. But perhaps red and green would be more suitable if following a Christmas craft theme.
Just remember to use a color that adequately contrasts the white so you can easily see the outline of the snowman.
When preparing your craft area you will also want a quick way of cleaning the paint off those little hands get grabby!
Fingerprint Snowman Video Demo
Check out the video below for a quick walkthrough of the project. This will make it easier to navigate the written instructions.
Stage 1: Stamp Your Hand/Fingerprints (repeat x 2)
- Step 1 - Cover your hand in white paint.
- Step 2 - Stamp the hand on the colored paper. Leave in place long enough to get a good transfer of paint onto the handprint with a good outline of the fingerprints also.
- Step 3 - Set aside to dry for 5-8 minutes.
Stage 2a: Draw the Features of the Full Handprint Snowman
- Step 4 - The four main fingerprints will form the body of the snowman so the first feature will be a hat to join them all together. So paint a beanie or hat with the base of the cap covering all four fingers.
- Step 5 - Using black paint mark the eyes and mouth with a dot pattern to mimic how you would build a snowman in real life.
- Step 6 - Next we will paint on a scarf, ribbon, and buttons on the snowman.
- Step 7 - As a final touch paint a white layer of snow around the snowmen like they are standing on the snowy ground.
Stage 2b: Draw the Features of the Fingerprint Snowman
- Step 8 - Each individual fingerprint will be a different snowman with this method. So start by adding the same features to the top of each fingerprint using either paint or markers; scarves, hats, earmuffs, and twigs arms for each snowman.
- Step 9 - Your fingerprint snowmen are ready for display!
Why Make a Snowman Footprint this Xmas
Making hand and footprints as part of your craft activities are always a lot of fun. Kids love getting messy and they are a great snapshot in time to keep for future years also.
It is a very straight forward craft project and a great way to start toddlers and young kids.
For More Snowman Craft Ideas
Check out some of our other snowman craft projects:
These little dressed up fingerprints are just too cute and the snowmen look very friendly (depending on how you draw them). They will make a colorful addition to your house throughout the holiday and winter months.