This toilet roll craft idea turns your leftover trash into a funny looking Halloween decoration based on Frankenstein’s Monster character.
They are quick and easy to make and suitable even for kids as young as toddler age.
We have included detailed instructions below with photos of each step, and a video run through so you can make your own Frankenstein crafts at home with the kids.
Prepare Your Toilet Roll and Craft Materials
Only some basic craft materials are required for this project. While you can buy the toilet rolls on their own, you can save money here by just putting them aside for a few weeks leading up to Halloween so you have plenty on hand.
Just keep them somewhere dry and clean.
Clear an area n the table, and keep the scissors out of reach of young hands and you are ready to start.
Toilet Roll Frankenstein Video Demonstration
Check out the video below for a full run-through of the craft project.
We recommend you do this before starting on the written instructions so you have the complete picture for how the project comes together.
Stage 1: Cover the Toilet Roll in Colored Paper
- Step 1 - Using green colored paper, cut a length of paper to the same size of the toilet roll.
- Step 2 - Place one end of the paper on the toilet roll and staple or glue in place at both ends of the roll.
- Step 3 - Proceed to roll the toilet roll along the paper to cover the external surface of the roll with the paper.
- Step 4 - Staple or glue the loose end of the paper in place at both ends of the toilet roll.
Stage 2: Add Frankenstein's Facial Features
- Step 5 - Glue the googly eyes 2/3 of the way up the toilet roll.
- Step 6 - Draw a nose and a grumpy facial expression for Frankenstein using a marker - or a happy face if you feel like it.
- Step 7 - Cut a long letter T shape from black paper and paste to the back of the toilet roll on the opposite side of the face. This will be used as those bolts that protrude out the side of Frankenstein's head.
- Step 8 - Next we use the same black paper to cut a small crown-like shape the width of the toilet roll. The bottom has a zigzag pattern and will be Frankenstein's hairline.
- Step 9 - Your toilet roll Frankenstein's Monster crafts are now ready for decoration!
Why Make this Frankenstein Craft this Halloween
This legendary character is more than 200 years old and is a permanent fixture when Halloween decorations go up, and trick or treat costumes are decided.
The colors of this craft really pop and while he has some scary features it is a fun decoration to place around the house.
It is cheap and easy to create this project, and it is also a nice way to start to teach your kids about recycling materials to create something artsy. Even from something like a leftover toilet roll.
For More Halloween Craft Ideas
Check out our other Halloween craft projects below. Each idea comes with full instructions and video demos so you will be well equipped to take on all activities with your kids.
We also have a full list here.
This simple Halloween decoration will be a colorful addition to your household this year.
The kids will have lots of fun creating them and it is a great way to get the family together to generate some excitement ahead of a big night of trick or treating.