This cute leprechaun hat and beard combo is a fun way to celebrate St Patrick’s day with your kids.
The craft project is a good activity for you to engage in with your children, and then on the day everyone gets to wear their creation and sport their best Irish leprechaun look.
Below you will find full instructions to make your own leprechaun hat craft at home plus a video demonstration
Prepare Your Hat Craft Materials
You can make the whole project from colored paper or cardboard, depending on your desired stiffness and durability.
We have used foam paper for the beard as this is a bit easier on the skin. When kids start running around and playing the regular paper edges could cause some irritation to the skin, so safest to go with the foam paper.
Leprechaun Hat Craft Video Demonstration
While the project is simple enough for younger kids to complete, there are three separate elements that come together to make the leprechaun hat. So we encourage you to watch the video demo below to see how they all come together.
This is in time-lapse format and will give you a start to finish overview in just a couple of minutes.
Stage 1 - The Leprechaun Hat
- Step 1- Take a sheet of dark green paper and trace out the shape of a large top hat. Then cut.
- Step 2 - Using black paper will now cut the external banding that sits at the base of the hat, above the rim. Cut a rectangular strip that is about an inch or two thick (depending on the size of your top hat). The length should match the width of the hat.
- Step 3 - Last of all we need four small yellow strips that will be glued together to form a square buckle shape. This goes on top of the black banding to give that leprechaun hat look.
- Step 4 - Glue all of the pieces in place.
Stage 2 - The Leprechaun Beard and Headband
- Step 5 - Using a sheet of orange foam paper, trace the shape of a beard and cut. The length of the beard should fit the face of the intended wearer of the hat (does not have to be exact).
- Step 6 - Tape the foam paper beard at both ends of the hat to hold it firmly in place.
- Step 7 - Using a length of green (or any color really) cut an inch thick length of paper that can be looped around the wearer's head.
- Step 8 - It is best to measure or place the headband around the wearer's head before taping securely in place.
- Step 9 - Tape the headband to the back to the hat at the base.
- Step 10 - Your St Patrick's Day Leprechaun hat is now ready!
Why Make Leprechaun Hats
How often to get to see your kids in leprechaun hats and an orange beard?
Maybe at Halloween, but St Patrick’s day is a different kind of celebration and these quirky leprechaun characters add a fun Irish flavor to your household.
Plus it is just a fun craft activity for the whole family to get involved in.
For More St Patrick’s Day Themed Crafts
We have plenty more St Patricks Day themed crafts suitable for kids. Including the following projects:
You can take a memorable family photo with everyone sporting a green hat and orange beard. It will be a strange one, but that’s half the fun of the day.