Turn some ordinary paper plates and colored paper into this cute snowman craft that will look great on the fridge this winter.
This craft project is very easy, relatively mess free, and great for younger kids.
Read on for full instructions to create your own paper plate mummies, plus a video demonstration to walk you through it.
In This Post:
Prepare Your Paper Plate Snowman Materials
One of the best things about this craft project is that there are options to substitute the materials to something you may just have in the house already. So you can make these very cheaply if you need to.
If you have some paper plates laying around in the kitchen then you will save a few bucks there.
The googly eyes can be swapped with some white paper cut-outs. You can simply draw them on with a sharpie and save some money there too.
Paper Plate Snowman Video Demonstration
Check out the video below for a full walkthrough of the project.
While there is some tricky cutting your kids should be able to follow along without too much trouble if you prepare an example for them to follow.
How to Make a Paper Plate Snowman Craft
This paper plate snowman craft can be made in just a few minutes by layering on some colored paper cutouts onto paper plates. This makes it a cheap, but fun activity for your kids this winter.
Stage 1 - Cut the Paper Plate Snowman Shape
- Step 1- Take one paper plate and cut the inner circle of the plate, removing the raised edges. This leaves you with a flat circle shape.
- Step 2 - Glue to one edge of a second paper plate that is still intact. This creates the big circle, little circle shape of a snowman.
Stage 2 - Cut the Snowman Features
- Step 3 - Using orange paper, cut a carrot-like triangle shape for the snowman's nose.
- Step 4 - Use a circle ruler to trace small circle shapes on a sheet of colored paper.
- Step 5 - Place the marked paper on a stack of different colored paper and cut out the circle shapes. This will give you a number of different colored circles to be used as snowman buttons.
- Step 6 - Repeat steps 4 and 5 with black paper.
- Step 7 - Cut out three narrow strips of black paper, with two of them having a forked edge. This will be used to make a scarf shape.
- Step 8 - Lastly, cut a snowman's hat using black paper with a red paper banding.
Stage 3 - Assemble the Snowman
- Step 9 - Arrange the features on the paper plate snowman shape and glue in place.
- Step 10 - Your paper plate snowman is now complete and ready for decoration!
Why Make Paper Plate Snowmen
This paper plate snowman craft is a cheap and easy Christmas activity to do with the kids. You will have some cute decorations to put up after and they can be made in just a few minutes. Young toddlers with moderate motor skills can get involved.
And even if they are not ready for the scissors yet they can certainly do the gluing and help the snowman take shape.
For More Snowman Craft Ideas
We have more snowman activities suitable for toddlers and preschoolers. Check out some of our other projects below:
Click here for the full list of snowman craft ideas:
This is an easy craft project to take on in the lead-up to Christmas, or just on those cold winter days when you are stuck inside.
The end result is lightweight and easy to hang up around the house.