A fun addition to your Thanksgiving celebrations are these turkey hats that your kids can help make for everyone coming along to your family gathering.
They are easy to make, and only a few cheap materials are needed.
Check out our step by step instructions, and video, guiding you through the process to make your Thanksgiving Turkey Hats.
In This Post:
Video Turkey Hat Craft Demonstration
Before you jump in to the step by step instructions, take two minutes to observe the process from start to finish in this time lapse video.
This will save you a lot of time as you follow each step.
Stage 1: Create an adjustable hat banding
- Step 1 - Using a colored brown paper cut 2pcs into 3-4 inches wide.
- Step 2 - Staple both ends of the brown paper.
- Step 3 - Cut a small slit at the end of one strip this will serve adjustment to the turkey hat base on the head size. So Parents and children will surely wear and enjoy this craft.
- This allows the headband to be fully adjustable.
Stage 2: Cut the Features of Turkey
- Step 5 - Using a pencil draw a big and small circle then cut this will serve as the head and body of the turkey.
- Step 6 - Using the marker create the pupil of the turkey draw a circle for your guide to cut t using scissors. Ask help for your parent’s assistant when using sharp material.
- Step 7 - For the nose and snood (red fleshy bit that hangs under a turkey beak) cut a triangle shape and a curved "J" shape
- Step 8 - Cut a leaves shape different colored paper this will be the colorful feathers of the turkey
- Step 9 - Cut a yellow colored paper ½ inch 2pcs this will serve the legs and colored orange feet for the turkey hat.
- Step 10 - Fold the yellow paper side by side to create a texture for the paper that gives fun while wearing this craft hat. You are now ready to assemble your turkey hat!
Stage 3: Assemble Turkey Craft with Glue
- Step 11 - Glue the body and head parts of the turkey.
- Step 12 - At the back of the body of the turkey paste the colorful feathers.
- Step 13 - Paste the turkey in the middle of the adjustable headdress and paste the legs at the side of the body of the turkey.
- Step 14 - At the back of the body of the turkey paste the colorful feathers.
- Step 15 - Paste the turkey in the middle of the adjustable headdress and paste the legs at the side of the body of the turkey.
- Step 16 - Adjust the hat in your desired length and now it’s ready for thanksgiving celebration.
Why Make Paper Turkey Hats?
These turkey hats will liven up the dinner table, and engage your children in the Thanksgiving tradition early on.
It is also a great activity that you can do as a family in the lead up to the big day, or to keep them busy while you are in the kitchen preparing the juicy real life turkey!
More Thanksgiving Crafts
Also check out our full list of thanksgiving turkey crafts suitable for toddlers and up.