As Thanksgiving approached you may want to start putting your used up toilet rolls away to prepare for this simple craft idea.
You can use the discarded cardboard tubes to make a colorful turkey craft to add to your Thanksgiving decorations.
It is a fun way to get the kids involved with some turkey craft and get into that holiday spirit. These cute little turkeys come complete with colorful feathers, funny faces, and pilgrim hats as a finishing touch.
We have included detailed instructions below so you can make your own at home. Plus a time-lapse video demo of the project.
Prepare your Toilet Roll Materials and Craft Area
This craft has a mix of materials that are either purchased or recycled. If you do go down the recycled route for your toilet rolls please make sure that they have been stored in a clean place.
You also may need to remove excess toilet paper so you have a smooth surface to start your turkey craft.
Aside from that, all you will need a neat and clean table so you are your kids can work on the project comfortably.
Toilet Paper Roll Turkey Craft Video Demo
Check out the video below for a quick overview of the product in just over two minutes.
This will help you navigate the written instructions a bit easier as you go through each step of making your craft.
Stage 1: Cut the Paper and Toilet Roll Features of the Turkey
- Step 1 - Using a pencil draw out a big circle and a smaller circle at the top to create a peanut-shaped outline.
- Step 2 - Cut around the outline to form the eventual body of the turkey.
- Step 3 - Using the marker, draw two small dark circles on white paper and cut bigger circles for the eyes.
- Step 4 - Using yellow paper, cut a small triangle for the Turkey's beak.
- Step 5 - Then with red or orange paper cut a small heart shape for the snood of the turkey to hang underneath the beak area.
- Step 6 - Using a pencil draw a hat shape outline and then proceed to cut.
- Step 7 - Add a small silver colored strip of paper to accent the pilgrim hat.
- Step 8 - Using a pencil, draw a smaller tailpiece onto the bigger tailpiece, creating a colored layered effect.
- Step 9 - Cut out your tail pieces along your outline.
- Step 10 - Cut the toilet paper roll into two pieces.
- Step 11 - Cut two slits on opposite sides of the toilet paper roll to about one inch of depth.
Stage 2: Attach the features of the Turkey to your Toilet Roll
- Step 12 - Glue the facial features of the turkey onto the body, followed by the hat.
- Step 13 - Insert your turkey’s tailfeather pieces into the slits on the toilet roll. This should be deep enough to be propped up without any further assistance.
- Step 14 - Attach the turkey body to the outside of the toilet paper roll using glue.
- Step 15 - Your toilet roll turkey craft is now ready for display!
Why Make a Toilet Roll Turkey Decorations for Thanksgiving
This cute and colorful craft is a quirky addition to your Thanksgiving decorations.
You can improvise and hang around lights giving a cool lantern look, or just place on your table as a funny looking group of Turkeys.
It is an inexpensive project and you can easily make a whole bunch of these to decorate the whole house.
More Thanksgiving Craft Ideas
Check out our full list of turkey craft ideas to brighten up your Thanksgiving celebrations. Every project comes with detailed written, and video instructions.
Some of the projects include:
Be sure to add this quick and easy craft idea to your family’s activities this Thanksgiving and turn that recycled material into some colorful decorations.