This coffee filter turkey craft is an easy project that you may be able to complete with materials you already have in the kitchen, plus a few crafty staples.
The star of this project is the brightly colored feathers (aka the coffee filter) and your kids will have a ball making these sparkle through some creative coloring in, to make some bright and cheerful additions to your Thanksgiving decorations.
Below you will find a detailed step by step guide including video, photos, and written instructions so you can make your own coffee filter turkeys at home.
In This Post:
Prepare Your Coffee Filters and Craft Area
This crafting material is easy to find in the house coffee filter and craft materials only. Also, prepare to get a little messy because your hand will be stained by the color pen while spraying water.
You also need an absorbent cloth or old newspaper to be placed in your table to make sure it avoids stained color.
Aside from that, all you will need is a clutter-free table so your kids can work on the project comfortably.
Video Demo of Coffee Filter Turkey Craft
Here is a quick overview of the project that will help you navigate the steps below.
You can see the full project start to finish in about two minutes.
Stage 1: Cut the Body Features of the Turkey
- Step 1 - Using a pencil, trace out a big circle and a smaller circle on top to create a figure-eight shaped outline for your turkey body. Proceed to cut around the outline.
- Step 2 - Cut a small triangle from yellow-colored paper to serve the beak of the turkey, and cut a small heart shape on red paper for the snood to dangle under the beak.
- Step 3 - Using the marker, draw two small dark circles on white paper and cut bigger circles for the eyes.
- Step 4 - Cut two thin strips of yellow paper about half an inch thick. Then fold it at half-inch intervals to create a textured effect for the legs of the turkey.
- Step 5 - Cut two small crown shapes from pink-colored paper to use as the feet of the turkey.
Stage 2: Color the Coffee Filter
- Step 6 - Color in your coffee filters however you like. Your kids can let their creativity run wild on this step!
- Step 7 - Place your filters on an old newspaper or another surface that can be thrown in the trash, or easily cleaned. Using a spray water bottle, apply water onto the colored coffee filters until the surface is well covered and the colors begin to run.
- Step 8 - Dab lightly with tissue paper. Note: Your hands may also become temporarily stained from the color.
- Step 9 - Allow drying for 3 to 5 minutes.
Stage 3: Assemble Your Turkey
- Step 10 - Start with your turkey body and glue on the facial features of the turkey, followed by legs and feet.
- Step 11 - Arrange your coffee filters to overlap in a triangular fashion that will serve as a colorful array of turkey feathers. Glue in place.
- Step 12 - Glue your feather arrangement to the back of your turkey body.
- Step 13 - Your coffee filter craft is ready to display!
Why Make a Coffee Filter Turkey
You can keep your kids busy for a long time with the coloring in steps, and they will love putting their own touch on these craft decorations.
Things will get messy when you bring in the spray bottle and tissues, but it is also a good way to help teach them how to treat something with care and attention to ensure a pleasing result.
For More Thanksgiving Craft Ideas
Thanksgiving is a fun time of year to get into some traditional turkey craft projects that kids will enjoy.
We have a number of other projects suitable for young children. All with full instructions, including:
Here is a fun coloring activity, with a little bit of cutting and gluing. Perfect for toddlers who will enjoy seeing their turkey creations coming together from an everyday kitchen item.
Just make sure you have some coffee filters leftover for your morning caffeine fix!