Turn some ordinary paper plates into these colorful monsters that make great decorations for Halloween.
Your kids will have a great time painting and decorating these to create some quirky looking monster characters.
Read on for full instructions to create your own paper plates, plus a video demonstration to walk you through it.
In This Post:
Prepare Your Paper Plates and Paint Materials
Hopefully, you have a few paper plates leftover from your last family picnic to save some money.
Aside from that, you will be using mostly typical crafting materials.
If you have a washable, or disposable table cover then this should prevent the painting from getting too messy.
Paper Plate Monster Craft Video Demonstration
Check out the video below for a full walkthrough of the project.
This will help you navigate the written instructions, and make things much easier when you are in the middle of a group of painting toddlers.
How to Make a Paper Plate Monster Craft
Turn your leftover basic paper plates these colorful Halloween decorations with some basic painting and cutting. your kids will love the creative opportunities in making their own contribution to the household this Halloween.
Stage 1: Paint the Paper Plates
- Step 1- Paint the paper plates whatever color you like. We opted for yellow, red, and blue.
- Step 2 - Set aside to dry for 3 to 5 minutes.
Stage 2: Add the Yellow Monster's Facial Features
- Step 3 - For the yellow monster we will add two regular round eyes cut from white paper.
- Step 4 - Then cut two smaller colored black triangles for the pupils of the eyes. The shape giving it an evil look.
- Step 5 - Using a marker, draw a smile, and cut a series of small triangles from white paper to show a row of jagged teeth.
- Step 6 - Glue all of your features onto the yellow paper plate.
Stage 3: Add the Red Monster's Facial Features
- Step 7 - We are cutting eyes again from white paper, but this time we will cut two regular sized and one slightly smaller eye for a weird looking third eye.
- Step 8 - Cut larger saucer eye looking pupils from black paper.
- Step 9 - Using a marker, draw a grumpy facial expression and then cut two small triangles for fangs to match.
- Step 10 - Glue all of your features onto the red paper plate.
Stage 4: Add the Blue Monster's Facial Features
- Step 11 - Just one big white circle for an eye on this one, and a pupil about half the size of the large white eye.
- Step 12 - Using black paper cut a half oblong shaped piece to use as the mouth. Then two small rectangular pieces of white paper to make an ugly looking buck-toothed monster.
- Step 13 - Glue all of your features onto the blue paper plate.
- Step 14 - Your goofy Halloween monsters are ready to add to your decorations.
Why Make Paper Plate Monsters
There are no rules with a craft project like this so you can let your kids get creative with their choice of colors, and facial features.
The end product will truly be a creation of their own.
It is a cheap and simple activity that your kids will enjoy. Plus they will make a fun addition to your Halloween decorations this year.
For More Halloween Craft Ideas
We have plenty more Halloween activities for the family. All with full written instructions and videos.
Check out some of the following projects:
For the full list of Halloween Crafts click here.
This paper plate monster craft activity is great for toddlers at Halloween time due to the liberal paint job needed, and the large facial features needed to finish them off.
Of course, an older child could get much more detailed in the facial decorations than what you see in the example above. Which makes this a very versatile project that the whole family can get in