When preparing your Thanksgiving celebrations this turkey paper plate craft is an easy craft idea that your kids can take part in as early on as their toddler years.
It is a quirky decoration to add to your Thanksgiving decorations and is a great chance to get your kids engaged in the traditions of this holiday.
We have included detailed instructions for how to create your own turkey paper plate crafts, along with a video demo and pictures of each step.
In This Post:
Prepare your Craft Area
Whenever paint is involved you are going to need a mat or plastic sheet, something to cover your children’s clothes, and containers to wash your paintbrushes.
These are an assumed necessity and not included in the materials list below.
Paper Plate Turkey Video Demonstration
Before you get into the step by step instructions we have prepared the video below as an overview of the process.
This will give you a quick overview of the process to complete your project. It is a time-lapse video and will just take two minutes:
Stage 1: Cut The Paper Plate And Turkey Features
- Step 1 - Cut the paper plate in half.
- Step 2 - Take half of the paper plate and cut into 4 equal parts, and then one cut of equal size off the other half to create 5 small triangular wedges, and one large fan-shaped piece.
- Step 3 - Draw a circle on the colored paper and then cut into a shape of the head of the turkey.
- Step 4 - Using a marker, create the eyes of the turkey and cut into two small eye circles For the nose, cut a small square and fold it in half to create a triangular nose effect.
- Step 5 - Cut a letter j this will serve as the snood of the turkey.
Stage 2: Paint The Paper Plate Pieces
- Step 6 - Grab your paint and paintbrush and cover two of your paper plate wedges in red. Allow to dry out for 5 -8 min depending on the type of paint that you use.
- Step 7 - Repeat the above step with two wedges painted a yellow color.
- Step 8 - The remaining piece is painted orange to create that complete turkey tail contrast.
- Step 9 - Last of all, the larger fan piece if painted a brown color to represent the body of the turkey.
Stage 3: Assemble The Paper Plate Turkey Features
- Step 10 - Glue the facial features of the turkey; eyes, beak, and snood.
- Step 11 - Arrange the colored paper wedges above the face of the turkey, and the larger brown piece at the base of the face. Glue them in place once you have the arrangement as you like it.
- Step 12 - Your turkey paper plate creation is complete and ready to decorate your house at thanksgiving.
Why Make a Paper plate Turkey?
This project is cheap to make with the materials often being things that are laying around the house, or kitchen.
Aside from some precision cutting of the facial features, it is very simple to make and is suitable from toddlers to preschoolers.
They will have a great time with the painting element. Each piece of the paper plate is to be completely covered in paint so minimal assistance is required.
For More Thanksgiving Craft Ideas
We have prepared a whole list of craft ideas here. This include some other great turkey craft projects such as:
A turkey paper plate is not the kind of decoration that you will hang on to for years to come. It would not store easily, and the paint would fade.
But, as a standalone thanksgiving activity your kids will have lots of fun as they see their painted fragments of plate transform into a quirky looking turkey.
An unusual and interesting addition to your Thanksgiving decorations.