This Thanksgiving craft project will involve mixing paint with little feet and hands to make a super cute little turkey.
It is a quick and easy addition to your decorations, and your kids can have all the freedom they like when selecting colors of your turkey feathers (handprints). This will ensure a high level of engagement from the start.
A project like this will also serve as a snapshot of those tiny little feet and hands that you can keep for many years to come.
In This Post:
Prepare your Craft Area
As much as the kids get excited, I’ll bet you are already cringing at the mess! So prepare your space with a nice big mat or plastic sheet so that you can relax and not worry about any stray paint.
You can then set out your materials freely without having to worry about paint getting knocked over.
Just look out for painted feet walking off onto your carpet!!
Foot and Handprint Turkey Craft Video Demo
Before you get started, check out this time-lapse video that will show you the whole process from start to finish.
This should make it easier for you to follow the step by step instructions below to create your own foot and handprint turkey decorations.
Stage 1: Prepare your Hand and Foot Prints
- Step 1 - Choose your favorite colored paint, and brush over the surface of your palm.
- Step 2 - Once completely covered, stamp it to the bond paper.
- Step 3 - Repeat several times with different colors to give your turkey feathers some brightness.
- Step 4 - Repeat the above step, but with the sole of your foot. Use brown colored paint to on the sole of your foot, and a lighter red or orange color on the toes - this will give the turkey it's body.
- Step 5 - When you stamp the foot on the bond paper you will see the contrasting colors.
Stage 2: Cut the Features of Turkey
- Step 6 - Using a marker draw the pupil of the eyes o and cut a small triangle for the nose of the turkey.
- Step 7 - Cut a big teardrop shape this will serve as the snood of the turkey.
- Step 8 - Cut the different color handprints.
- Step 9 - Cut the footprints.
Stage 3: Assemble the Foot and Handprints Into a Turkey
- Step 10 - Paste with the glue the face features of the turkey in the foot.
- Step 11 - Arrange the handprints like a sided feather of the footprint turkey then paste it.
- Step 12 - Find somewhere to hang up your new decorations!!
Why Make Foot and Handprint Turkey Craft
You can hang these up all over the house on Thanksgiving, and because they are flat they can easily be stored away for next year.
It may tickle some nostalgia in future years when you pull them out and remember how small those hands and feet actually were all those years back.
Don’t forget to take pictures with your kids looking all messy and covered in paint! You will remember this more than the cleanup job ahead…
More Thanksgiving Craft Ideas
Also check out our full list of Thanksgiving Crafts for Toddlers and Preschoolers. Including some of these projects: