The skis at the base of Santa’s sled are remarkably similar to what two candy canes look like side by side. When you sit a big flat chocolate bar on top you have a base to build a full Santa Sleigh decoration made entirely from candy!
This cute, but edible, craft idea will look great in your kitchen this holiday season.
Below you will find full instructions and a video demonstration so you can make your own candy Santa Sleigh at home this holiday season.
In This Post:
Prepare Your Candy Materials
The trick to a well shaped Santa sleigh is to have candy bars of varying width.
You need a broad base, and then a gradual build towards a narrow seat on top. Kit-Kats and Hershey Bars work great!
But work with what you have, and what the family likes to eat.
Click here to download your free Santa and Reindeer printable.
Candy Sleigh Video Demonstration
Check out the video below for a full walk through of the project from start to finish.
This can help you navigate the written instructions.
Stage 1: Assemble the Candy Sleigh
- Step 1 - Place the chocolate bar on top of two candy canes that will form the two skis of the sled. Secure in place with both of the two curled ends at the same end of the chocolate bar using tape.
- Step 2 - Using your remaining pieces of candy and chocolate, assemble things into a stack that resembles the shape of Santa's sleigh. Secure each layer with tape as you go.
- Step 3 - Using some smaller pieces of candy you can then add a seat shape at the top of the sled.
Stage 2: Add Santa and his Reindeer
- Step 4 - You can either draw and color in your own, or just print out our free printable of Santa and is reindeer. Cut this out from the paper.
- Step 5 - Using some of the paper offcuts, cut out a rectangle shape and fold it into a box shape. This will be used as a stand for the reindeer cut outs.
- Step 6 - Tape this stand to the back of the reindeer and place at the front of Santa's sleigh.
Why Make a Santa Candy Sleigh?
Well, the short answer is you can eat it when the decoration passes its date of relevance!
Using this as a centerpiece for your Christmas dinner allows you to then take it apart for a quick and easy after-dinner dessert.
For More Christmas Crafts
Check out some of our other Xmas themed craft projects:
You can create multiple of these Santa Sleighs in just a few minutes. The kids will probably be more excited to select the candy than they will be actually making the craft project.
Keep an eye on those smaller pieces of candy around the edges in the lead up to the big day. You may find that pieces slowly go missing….