A leprechaun trap craft is my favorite St Patrick’s Day activity to do with the kids. It provides a cool decoration for the house, and the kids really enjoy the story that the project is telling as it comes together.
There are also so many different elements to put together so it keeps the kids engaged throughout, and is just a lo0t of fun.
We have provided full instructions and a video demo below so you can catch a leprechaun at home with this craft idea too.
Prepare Your Leprechaun Trap Craft Materials
We found the trickiest thing was getting the correct box shape! You don’t really want to have to buy a box for this as it would be an unnecessary expense. You could get away with a tissue box but can probably fund something more suitable in the pantry.
If you do not want to buy all the different types of paper used in the demonstration project you can just use white paper and color in the sheets to get the appropriate mix. This just adds an extra activity for the kids to take over and is a nice and easy addition.
If you want the easier route then just check out the links in the instructions below for the full list of materials used.
Leprechaun Trap Craft Video Demonstration
While the assembly is fairly simple, there are a lot of elements that need to come together to finish off your leprechaun trap. The video below will show you the project from start to finish in just a few minutes.
This will be useful to watch before starting and will be a handy reference to come back to if you get stuck.
How to Make a Leprechaun Trap Craft
- Construction Paper
- Gold Paper
- Plain Paper
- Small Box
- Box Cutter
Stage 1 - Prepare the Box and Features
- Step 1- Take a rectangular cardboard box and a cut a ceiling out on the end of the box to make a large secret opening.
- Step 2 - Cut a length of dark green paper and cover the box. Including the opening at the end.
- Step 3 - Using a lighter green paper cut out some small heart shapes. We will use these to create some shamrocks later on.
- Step 4 - Cut a mix of colored paper into narrow strips that are the exact same size. Bend the small stack of paper to create a rainbow like effect and staple in place.
- Step 5 - Cut some small circles using the gold paper to represent coins that have fallen out of a pot of gold.
- Step 6 - Now take some of the white paper and roll it up using a small stick and glue in place. Repeat until you have enough material to build your leprechaun ladder and then cut and glue together.
- Step 7 - For an additional color effect wrap some small strips of light green paper around the ladder steps.
Stage 2 - Assemble the Leprechaun Trap
- Step 8 - Cut a slit into the bottom of the green hearts and combine to create the 3D shamrock shapes.
- Step 9 - Glue some cotton balls at the top of your trap to give a cloudy effect. Glue the rainbow behind this with the gold coins at one end of the rainbow.
- Step 10 - Your leprechaun trap is complete and ready for decoration!
Why Make a Leprechaun Trap
The detail in this leprechaun trap craft project and the mix of colors make it the perfect St Patrick’s Day decoration for your home.
Your kids will also need to practice some precision cutting, gluing, and also perhaps their first foray into engineering with the construction of that ladder.
There is also plenty of room to decorate the features any way you like giving the kids plenty of creative freedom along the way.
For More St Patrick’s Day Themed Crafts
Chck out some of the following projects that are also suitable for your kids:
- Paper plate leprechaun craft
- St Patrick’s Day wreath for your front door
- Wearable leprechaun hat craft
Click here for the full list of St Patrick’s Day craft ideas.
If you are hosting a St Patrick’s Day party then a few of these leprechaun traps will certainly add some character to the decorations.
They are also a nice addition to your kids room, or living area anyway.