Setting up a range of Paper Mache Christmas tree-shaped crafts is a fun way to make a decorative custom display of Xmas decorations.
Making two or three of different sizes can give great results and with an assortment of ornaments surrounding them you can end up with a fairly classy display if that is what you are going for.
We have provided full instructions below on how to make these yourself at home. Complete with written and vieo instructions.
In This Post:
Prepare Your Paper Mache Materials
You have two options here; buy a ready made cone shape, or make your own.
We have provided the instructions to DIY, but the link below will take you to where you can buy the cone shape off the shelf. This can be a great time saver if you have impatient kids.
Aside from that, you can use your leftover Christmas wrapping. Or seek out a new variety of colors to brighten up your display.
Paper Mache Christmas Craft Video Demonstration
Check out the video below for a full walk through of the project from start to finish.
Mastering how to make your own cone shapes will save you some money, and also enable you to customize the sizes to suit your plans for the display.
Stage 1: Create a Cardboard Cone (or buy a pre-made one in the link above)
- Step 1 - Tie the floral wire or yarn to both ends of pencil.
- Step 2 - Hold one pencil in place at the center of your piece of cardboard, extend the wire as far as it can go before placing the other pencil down. And then proceed to trace out a circle shape by swinging that outer pencil all the way around your central pencil - which stays in the same place.
- Step 3 - Cut out the circle shape along your traced line, and fold it in half and cut again.
- Step 4 - Roll up the half-circle which should create that cone shape. Glue the edge of your cardboard in place using the glue gun to seal the cone shape in place.
Stage 2: Cover in your Chosen Xmas Wrapping Pattern
- Step 5 - Cut the gift wrapping into narrow strips.
- Step 6 - Using the paintbrush, apply the mod podge to the cone.
- Step 7 - Take your narrow strips of wrapping and wrap it around and down your cone starting from the narrow end to the wider base. Repeat until the cone fully covered.
- Step 8 - Your paper mache tree craft is now ready to add to a decorative display.
Why Make a Paper Mache Christmas Tree
We loved this project due to the control you have over the end result.
If you want something classy then you can go with gold and silver colors, but if its more for the kids you can go for cheesier patterns with santa cartoons featuring.
Or just go for colors that will compliment your other decorations and Xmas tree.
For More Christmas Crafts
Check out some of our other Xmas themed craft projects:
So here you have a low-cost decorative idea that your kids can really personalize to build some excitement around that holiday vibe.
If you go for the pre-bought cones they will be sturdy enough to store until the following year when you can simply add another layer of wrapping paper over the top and create a completely new look.