Legend has it that leprechaun’s hide their pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. This craft project is a fun way to talk about this Irish myth with your kids while doing a fun activity together.
This fits in with the whole St Patrick’s Day theme and can be a nice decoration to add to your household in the lead up to celebrations.
Full instructions and a video demonstration are provided below so you can make your own pot of gold craft at home.
Prepare Your Pot Of Gold Craft Materials
The most important part of this pot of gold rainbow craft activity is the painting. We have used a set of acrylic paints, but you can use whatever kid-friendly paint you like. You can also switch from the dotted patterns we have done to just regular brush painting if that is what you kids prefer.
All other elements you can improvise if you do not have the suggested materials on hand and want to keep costs down
Rainbow And Pot Of Gold Craft Video Demonstration
We have used layers of paper to make the shapes required to put this project together. You could just draw them on a single piece of paper if you want to but we found that the end result was better with this method, and it gave the kids some extra gluing and cutting tasks.
We encourage you to watch the video demo below so you can see how the project comes together.
Stage 1 - Create your Rainbow
- Step 1- Using a plain sheet of white paper trace a large rainbow shape that covers most of the width of the paper.
- Step 2 - Cut out the rainbow shape and place on a surface you are ok getting paint on!
- Step 3 - Get out your paints and add your rainbow colors. We have used a dotted style of painting but feel free to let your kids do this however they like.
Stage 2 - Create the Pot of Gold
- Step 4 - Using black paper trace a pot shape that is slightly wider than the width of one end of the rainbow.
- Step 5 - Cut out the pot shape.
- Step 6 - Cut out lots of small circles from the sheet of golden paper.
Stage 3 - Assemble the Pot of Gold
- Step 7 - Glue the painted rainbow on a sheet of paper. Then the black pot shape over the top of one end of the rainbow, followed by the golden circles at the top to give the appearance that the pot is full of gold.
- Step 8 - At the opposite end of the rainbow glue a bed of cotton balls to give the appearance of a cloud.
- Step 9 - Your pot of gold craft project is complete and ready for decoration!
Why Make A Pot Of Gold Rainbow Craft
Your kids may have heard from books how leprechauns protect their pot of gold in the clouds at the end of the rainbow. This will help get them engaged with the activity.
If not, then you can kick things off by telling them the story.
It is also a big part of St Patrick’s Day celebrations which needs to be more than drinking lots of guinness when kids are involved.
For More St Patrick’s Day Themed Crafts
We have plenty more St Patricks Day themed craft ideas that are suitable for kids. Including the following projects:
This is a cheap and easy craft project to do with your kids. Getting the paints out is always fun and can get messy, but it will also allow your kids creative freedom to paint a rainbow however they see fit.
Feel free to also add in some leprechaun characters to the project.